Abonex Tablet is a long-acting neuromuscular blocking agent, which is used for the treatment of neuropathic pain (i.e. pain from nerve damage).The main components for Abonex Tablet is Gabapentin (300 mg) and Methylcobalamin (500 mcg).This Tablet is used for Low hemoglobin, Loss of sensation, Pain in extremities, and other states. It is also used for supportive therapy in severe muscle tightness, Decrease in muscle mass, Management of postherpetic neuralgia, treatment for partial seizures.Abonex Tablet basically blocks the movement of pain signals in your brain, so you don’t feel any pain. This Tablet also works by increasing the production of red blood cells by the bone marrow.
Uses of Abonex Tablet
Abonex Tablet is used for the treatment or prevention of the following disease:
- Treatment of neuropathic pain
- Low hemoglobin
- Pain in extremities
- Loss of sensation
- Decrease in muscle mass
- Management of postherpetic neuralgia
- Treatment for partial seizures
- Adjunct therapy in severe muscle tightness
How to Use
You can take this medicine as a whole with an adequate amount of water. And don’t be confused about when to take this medicine, you can take this medicine with or without meals.
When not to use
You should not take this medicine if you have Leber’s Disease. It’s a rare genetic disease which causes you to lose your eyesight. So you should avoid this medicine as it increases the risk of this disease or it may worsen your condition.
If you are allergic to Abonex Tablet, then you should avoid taking it.
Now talking about the appropriate dose of Abonex 300mg/500mcg Tablet that how much you should take. It depends on some factors like the patient’s age, health, his medical condition, and some other conditions.
- Missed Dose
If you missed a dose of this Tablet, then try to take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If you forget to take a dose, then do not take a double dose of this Tablet for the next time.
Do not consume more than the prescribed amount of Abonex Tablet. If you did it accidentally or intentionally and if you notice any abnormal reactions in your body after taking this medicine. Contact your doctor immediately so that overdose treatment can be started.
These are the major & minor side effects for Abonex Tablet. Though, these side effects can be seen usually in patients.
- Allergic reactions
- Injection site related side effects
- Loss of appetite
- Peripheral edema
- Back pain
- Flu syndrome
- Emotional lability
- Viral infection
- Abdominal pain
- Upper respiratory infection
- Otitis media
How Does It Work?
Abonex Tablet is the combination of two medicines Gabapentin and Methylcobalamin.
Gabapentin interferes with the pain signals that travel through your damaged nerves and your brain. It also helps to reduce the release of chemicals in the brain which are responsible for the sensation of pain. That way it works and it helps relieve pain due to nerve damage.
Methylcobalamine is another coenzyme form of vitamin B12 which helps in the construction of nerve cells and also helps to regenerate the damaged nerves in the brain.
Contraindications of Abonex Tablet
Contraindication can be a special condition or a circumstance where you are not supposed to use the medicine or undergo a particular treatment cause it can be harmful.
If you are allergic towards Gabapentin, Methylcobalamin, or any of the ingredients of this medicine, then you should not take it.
If you have any kind of eye disorder, due to excess consumption of tobacco then you should not take it.
This medicine is not for the treatment of anemia, especially for pregnant women.
Precautions and Warnings of Abonex Tablet
Before using Abonex Tablet, consult with your doctor about your current list of medications and your current health condition. Follow the directions of your doctor. Some important points are listed below.
- You are not advised to take this medicine during pregnancy because as it can be harmful for your developing fetus. Your doctor may provide you this Abonex Tablet only if the benefits outweigh the potential risk. You should consult with your doctor before starting to take or stop this medicine.
- Breast Feeding
- It is advisable not to breastfeed during treatment cause it may harm the newborn baby. After understanding the benefits over risk, it’s your doctor who will decide whether to stop breastfeeding or stop taking this medicine.
- Elderly patients
- One should be careful before using Abonex Tablet in elderly patients as it may increase the possibility of side effects. Kidney function also decreases with age, so need to be careful about an appropriate dose adjustment.
- Other medicines
- There are many medicines that may interact with Abonex Tablet, as a result, it reduces efficacy or increases the chance of side effects of this medicine. Therefore, talk with your doctor if you are having any medication or any supplements.
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- You should be careful about taking this Abonex Tablet if you went through a gastrointestinal surgery recently. It can reduce the absorption of these drugs from your stomach and intestines. As a result, it may decrease the effect of this tablet.
- Use of antacids
- Antacids can also reduce the absorption of Abonex Tablet from your stomach and intestine. Therefore, you should maintain a time span between both of the medicines.
- You should monitor yourself closely for any change in mood or behavior while using Abonex Tablet because it can lead to suicidal tendencies. If you find yourself in this kind of situation then you should contact your doctor immediately for proper advice. If symptoms continue, then your doctor may recommend alternative medications.
- Use in Children
- Children should not take this Abonex Tablet, as it is not recommended for use in children because safety and efficacy are not clinically established.
- Withdrawal symptoms
- If you stop consuming this medicine suddenly, it may increase the risk of sweating, vomiting, depression, anxiety, seizures, fatigue, etc., especially if you have been using a high dose of this medicine for a long time. It is advisable to gradually reduce the dose to avoid these reactions. Before stop taking this medicine you should consult with your doctor.
- Driving or operating a machine
- After taking this medicine you should not drive a vehicle or operate a machine as it may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or depression.
- You are advised not to drink alcohol during the days of treatment with this tablet. There are possibilities that it may worsen the side effects.
You can intake this Abonex Tablet with food and without food. Keep in mind, do not chew or crush this tablet.
Keep consistency, try to take Abonex tablets at the same time every day so that your body maintains a constant level of this medicine.
You are advised not to take this medicine with an antacid because it can decrease the absorption of Abonex tablets in your body.
While taking Abonex Tablet You should avoid driving or any kind of activity that requires mental focus because this medicine can cause sleepiness problems Which can have an impact on your ability to focus.
Point to be noted, if you want to stop taking this medicine then consult with your doctor first. Do not stop taking this medicine without consulting with your doctor cause it can affect your condition.
Patient Concerns about Abonex Tablet
How long does it require for Abonex Tablet to take effect?
Though it is clearly not known that how much time does it take to start its action after consuming this Tablet. Though, within few weeks you can feel relief from the nerve pain symptoms.
How long does this effect last?
However, it is clearly not known that how long this tablet will remain effective in your body.
Is Abonex Tablet a habit-forming medicine?
Till now, there is no report about Abonex Tablet being a habit-forming medicine.
Is it safe to consume Abonex Tablet during pregnancy?
You are not advised to take this medicine during pregnancy because as it can be harmful for your developing fetus. Your doctor may provide you with this Abonex Tablet only if the benefits outweigh the potential risk. You should consult with your doctor before starting to take or stop this medicine.
Is this medicine safe while breastfeeding?
It is advisable not to breastfeed during treatment cause it may harm the newborn baby. After understanding the benefits over risk, it’s your doctor who will decide whether to stop breastfeeding or stop taking this medicine.
Is it safe to drink alcohol while taking Abonex Tablet?
You are advised not to drink alcohol during the days of treatment with this tablet. There are possibilities that it may worsen the side effects.
Can I stop consuming Avonex tablets when my pain is gone?
You should take Abonex tablets for the entire prescribed period. Though, Your symptoms may improve before the nerves are fully healed. But you should consult with your doctor before stop taking this medicine.
Can Abonex Tablet cause sleepiness?
Well, it can be as it’s the most common side effect of Abonex Tablet. You should not drive or operate any heavy machinery after consuming this medicine.
Can You take this medicine higher than the recommended dose?
No, you should not take higher than the recommended dose of Abonex Tablet. This can increase the chances of side effects and toxicity. If you did it accidentally or intentionally and if you notice any abnormal reactions in your body after taking this medicine, then consult with your doctor immediately.
Interactions of Abonex Tablet
If you use some other medicines over the counter products simultaneously, then the effects of Abonex Tablet may change. This situation may increase your risk of side effects or your medication may not work properly. All medicines interact differently from person to person. You should explore all possible interactions with your doctor before starting any medication. Abonex Tablet may interact with the medicines and products mentioned below:
Interaction with some other Medicine
Interaction with Alcohol
You are advised not to drink alcohol during the days of treatment with this tablet. There are possibilities that it may worsen the side effects such as dizziness, difficulty in concentration, etc.
Interaction with Morphine
If you take medicines like morphine with Abonex Tablet at the same time, then you may feel drowsiness.
Interaction with Antacids
You should take Antacids two hours after taking Abonex Tablet otherwise you may experience some side effects.
Interaction with Antibiotics
You should not take Abonex Tablet and antibiotics at the same time especially tetracycline because it can reduce the effectiveness of this tablet.
Interaction with Cough medicine
Cough medicine such as Hydrocodone may reduce the effectiveness of this Abonex Tablet.
Packages and Strengths
Please note that this Abonex Tablet is available in different strengths of each active ingredient.
Packages of Abonex Tablet: 10 Tablet
Abonex Tablet is available in two strengths 300 mg and 500 mcg.
How much does Abonex cost?
Let’s talk about how much does this Abonex Tablet costs. If you were thinking that this medicine is costly as it’s quite famous. That’s not at all, it’s quite cheap and affordable.
This Abonex Tablet will cost you only 129 INR.
You can also buy this medicine from online stores or websites. Here are some websites where you can buy this Abonex Tablet: